Saturday, December 27, 2014

STUFF I WISH I WAS TOLD BEFORE COMING TO CHINA

stuff  know


China is a weird, and wonderful place and thus far I am enjoying every second of it. But sometimes I wish someone would have told me about some of the weird things I would be seeing on a regular basis (and with regular I mean every day). So being the nice guy that I am I decided to create this list of weird things to prepare yourself for when coming to China.

Smoking in Public

Coming from South Africa (a country where smoking laws are enforced to some extent) I was quite shocked the first time I was in a shop (an Adidas Shop of all places) and saw a customer light up a cigarette. I turned to my friend and asked “wait is this normal?” and his response was that you can smoke virtually anywhere in China (even when there is a no-smoking sign).
Over the last few months his response has been reinforced and I have come to realise that you can literally smoke in 90% of all public places.  So if you are a non-smoker be prepared for this!!!

Drinking in Public

Something else that took me by surprise is the fact that drinking in public is legal in China.  At first I just could not do it and every time I tried I found myself looking over my shoulder for the police. Funny enough the other day an American friend came to visit me, and he also couldn't believe it and refused to carry his beer in public.
I asked some of the Chinese people that I know and they told me that drinking in public is commonly accepted provided you are over the age of 18.

Being Stared at

As a foreigner in China one thing you will have to get used to is being stared at. At first it was annoying, everywhere I went people would stop and stare at me as if I was a celebrity.  A few weeks later though it hit me that the people staring at me may have never seen a foreigner before and I know that if I was in their shoes I would probably do the same.
I recently developed a tactic to combat the staring, I simply start staring back at the person and they become so embarrassed that they stop within seconds.

Public potty training

Something else I see on a regular basis that takes some time getting used to is public potty training. Almost all toddlers have slits in their pants, and when nature calls they simply squat and relieve themselves wherever they may be. This may seem disgusting at first but eventually you don’t even notice it (just be sure not to step in it!)

Public Toilets

When it comes to public toilets in China there are two things you have to know: Number one carry your own toilet paper (99% of the time it is not provided) and number two be prepared to squat. Most public toilets in China are squatters, which literally means that you have to squat over a hole and do your business.

Being Ripped off 

One thing to be on the lookout for is being ripped off by Chinese shops and taxies.  When buying stuff you will sometimes find that the shop owner/staff will try inflate the price simply because you are a foreigner (which makes your rich! I wish this was the case). Taxi drivers may “forget” to turn on their meter and charge a huge amount for a trip that was meant to cost you 15 Yuan. It’s best to be alert and show these crooks that you are not some silly foreigner.

Being Called Handsome

If you were even remotely attractive back home you will find yourself being called handsome by both men and woman. It’s so strange that simply because you are a foreigner you receive extra points (i.e. if you were a six back home you will be an eight in China).

Being called fat.

I may not be the skinniest guy around but when I was called fat for the first time I was like WTF! I didn't know how to react so I just laughed it off. Later on I discussed this with the Chinese staff, and they explained to me that being called fat in china is not an insult but rather an observation. In other words being called fat has no negative connotations in China.









No comments:

Post a Comment